Monday, January 26, 2009

Just Do It!

My daughter is on a baton twirling team. This team has the "Big" girls and the "Little" girls. The team was started by the mother's of the Big girls - and there is a full parent run board. I have been Vice President for the last two years. Unfortunately, all of the Big girls are graduating this year. And there aren't many Little girls. And because of Prissy's "potential" and love of the sport - I have been tagged as taking over the president of the board next year when all the big girl parents leave next year. This has been stressing me out for quite some time.

There are a couple of problems: There aren't many Little girls. And it's about an hour away from our house. So, it's not like we can really recruit anyone. No one but crazy me wants to drive all that way (it's close to my work and the kids old school.)

So, I was thinking about how to increase membership. And I thought it would be cool to have a baton twirling camp. We could send out fliers to all the kids (through the schools) - and we could have a baton twirling camp that meets for 1 hour for 4 weeks. The kids would learn basic twirling skills and a routine. They would perform their routine at the end of their last week. Then, the Little Girls and Big Girls would perform their routines and the girls that had solos and pairs would perform so the campers could see what being on our team would be like and what a competitive team looks like. Then, we would let them know that we were starting a begining team in the Fall and here is all the information - and we would love for them to join. And I'm going to do it where I live. I'm making a potentially team killing decision to move it to my city so I can actually grow the team.

I know I'm getting myself in really deep - but, I'm feeling quite confident and SO FREAKING EXCITED! I'm just going to do it - I'm going to put on a baton twirling camp to increase membership in our competitive twirling team. So there!

No comments: