Wednesday, February 6, 2008

At least it's accurate

I decided to take a career test today. I always say that I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I've been in the same company for the past 12 years and I've moved up through the ranks. I started as a systems analyst in information technology and now I manage a team of software and hardware engineers. I keep doing it because the pay is good and I don't know what else I'd do. I have also enjoyed it, until more recently with the introduction of nib into my life.

Anyway, I took a career test today and it sort of seemed like a sham because it had so many ads that I didn't know how I was going to wade through them and the questions were all a bit weird. But, here is what it came up with for me in order:

Entrepreneur - which actually doesn't surprise me. I've always always wanted to run my own business. I am just totally risk adverse and I really think I will miss that regular pay check.

Business and Management - Ok, I see that. This is what I do now and I really like it. This is a little more broad, but it's good. I really like the people management part of my job.

Technology - I really love technology. I used to be a programmer (before my brain emptied when I became a manager.) And I have always loved to build a computer. So, this isn't so surprising either.

Natural Sciences - "create today the technologies that will change the way people live and work in the future" I can also see myself in a role like this as well.

So, I think the career matches are appropriate. But - now what? The site tells me I need to attend an online school. I don't really want to go back to school.

Maybe it's just back to the drawing board for new ideas for my own business. I would so love to be my own boss and completely in charge of my own destiny.

No comments: