Sunday, February 24, 2008

Not a Fluke

Well, I went back to Walmart today for my weekly grocery shopping (actually, I went to Safeway yesterday to pick up chicken breasts that were on sale and wicked cheap asperagus). It was as busy as it was last week. But, I only spent $109 for the week for 4 people - that's still about half the price of Safeway. Which sort of makes me sad, because I love Safeway.

But, I saved us another $100 this week. :) I also put out my first proposal on a website design - services for services. We'll see how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I have to go to work tomorrow, and I literally have meetings from 8am to 5pm. And it makes me want to cry, big fat crocodile tears.

At Bubba's indoor soccer game, I saw a dear friend who was the one other working mom that I identified with. She quit her job back in January (for different reasons) and is just loving life. She and I had approximately the same number of people working for us and we both held positions of "authority" in a male dominated field. Our experiences were very similar. She is now doing some contractual work in her field and she's really enjoying it. She also has a peanut allergic kid. And our kids went to school together for years, and I carpooled her kids to school for a year. They are a wonderful family and I'm thinking that if they can do it, we can too. After two weeks of pursuing this, we haven't dismissed it yet. That is saying something! I still feel a lot of hope - we might actually be able to make this work.

While trying to watch what I spend these last two weeks - I realized how much more comfortable I am being "frugal." I grew up in a house with one working parent - oddly enough, it was my mom. My mom was an ICU nurse so we never had a lot of money. I feel much more normal watching costs. The last few years, with two good salaries, I buy whatever the heck I feel like. I don't care if something is on sale or not. But, it feels so much "better" to just not buy it because I can. Anyway, this probably sounds totally weird and I probably sound like a complete spoiled brat. So, I'll just shut up now.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

It doesn't sound weird, nor do you sound like a spoiled brat. I totally get it.