Thursday, January 10, 2008

I can't believe she's going to be NINE!!

Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday. She is going to be NINE!!! I will have a NINE year old. That just seems so old. These past nine years have gone by so incredibly fast. Shoot, seems like just yesterday I got a positive pregnancy test and had a heart attack. My mom begged me to move the wedding up. But we kept it as planned and I have a little bump in my wedding pictures. I remember so clearly taking a walk at lunch time to talk to hubby (well, he was just my living-together-in-sin boyfriend at the time) about what we should do. Our wedding was already planned - the baby - well not so much... She started off coming 6 weeks early because my water broke and they didn't know if she was going to be ok. There were a thousand doctors in the room when she was born and as soon as she started crying they all disappeared. Unfortunately, she was an extremely sick infant, she then became demon toddler - oh the stories I could tell about her hour long fits so severe they would end in vomiting and her pissed-offed-ness where she would take off her diaper and pee in little polka dots all over the floor. However, about age 3 or 4 she turned into such a sweet and wonderful little girl - I don't know why, but it was an extremely welcome change and is now turning into such a brilliant, talented and caring big girl. She is so smart (I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm the mom - she's really been moved up two grades. The girl will be smarter than me by the time she's 10.) She is amazing good at baton twirling. I honestly can't tell you how amazed that this child came from my body. So, if any of you readers out there have restless toddlers - it changes. It really does.

Tomorrow, the actual birthday day, we are going out to Chevy's for dinner. I've already made Rice Krispy treats for her to take to school. I've also already made her requested cake for the family cake eating extravaganza (each piece is a FREAKING 9 points - almost half of my daily allotment) - it's a chocolate cake with blue wintergreen frosting. Weird cake - but tastes wonderful. I have to special order the wintergreen flavoring from candy distributors. I blame my mother-in-law who created this cake for hubby, who then passed his lust for it on to the children. It's a dark day when I have no wintergreen flavoring.

Oh gawd - work is still the suck, the job that I adored has become so incredibly painful. Nib (New italian boss) told me today that he is the boss and I had to do what he said. Unfortunately, he doesn't know what the fuck he is doing. He doesn't even understand the basics of expense vs capital (which is a big deal when YOU ARE MAKING THE FUCKING BUDGET!!!) I should SO be managing him - just because he has more time in the job he got the position in the company merger. He isn't a better manager, but he has more time in the industry. But, I actually have more people reporting to me than ever has. The whole thing blows, I was ok with it at first when he was still listening to me, but now he is just making dumbass decisions. My dilemma now is do I let him hang himself and take the department down? Or do I try to save the overall group by my own sweat and tears and ire - even if it makes him look good? Oh, the decisions. I'm taking my first step and trying to fix this chaotic situation tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that your daughter has as an awesome a birthday as she is. Wintergreen frosting sounds about as good as it gets, especially on chocolate cake. Yum. She's a lucky girl to have you!

As for work, bah, that truly blows. I hate working for people who know less than me, which seems to be my entire career practically since I have a weird expertise, so I completely emphasize. I say let him hang.