Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Laugh Therapy

Ok -

So, every Wednesday at 8am I have a meeting with nib (new italian boss). He is in Italy with two of the other managers on his team, and I'm in California in a room with the managers who report to me. I always end up pissed and cranky and it totally ruins my day. My managers always end up frustrated and pissed and it ruins their day. I decided that today, instead of getting frustrated (and more frustrated and more frustrated) that I would laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

So, I started to giggle a little. Then, I started laughing. We would put him on mute and I just cracked up. By the end of the meeting - I had tears streaming down my face. Everyone else in the room was laughing too. We honestly didn't get anything accomplished (we never do in these meetings) but no one was pissed or frustrated either. The only thing it ruined was my makeup - because the tears took off all my mascara.

And you know what? I had a great day the rest of the day. Nib doesn't listen. He interrupts. He talks forever with no point and doesn't let anyone talk back. He asks for useless things. He tries to control everything (that he shouldn't be controlling.) I'm not going to change him. But, I'm not entirely sure how to deal with him yet. So, in the meantime, I need to simply laugh. I need to get some optimism back. I need to stop taking myself so fucking seriously.

So, I laughed today - and it made all the difference.

No comments: